Did you know that proper lifting could strengthen your body and your spine? Did you know that improper lifting can cause spinal injury and debilitation? Each year, the quality of life of millions of people is diminished due to lifting injuries. I know the weather is getting hot and people do a lot more cleaning, moving, and lifting during this time of year, so here are a few helpful hits to prevent injuries.
- Stop and think before you lift. Most lifting injuries occur when you are rushed or preoccupied.
- Keep heavy objects close to your body.
- When lifting heavy objects practice:
- Spreading your feet wide apart.
- Sticking out your chest and tucking in your chin.
- Tightening your stomach muscles.
- Keeping your back upright.
- Bending your knees not your back.
- Keeping your shoulders parallel to the floor as much as possible.
- When carrying a load over a long distance or for a long time, shift the load occasionally from one side to the other side and change position. Every half-hour put the load down and stretch your arms over your head while breathing in deeply.
- Do not lift and twist your back at the same time.
- Do not lean forward without bending your knees.
- Avoid lifting objects above the level of your shoulders.
Pay attention to these tips to help you achieve a healthier spine.