Recently I was editing a reference sheet I have that I give to pregnant women in our office –- a list of things I recommend to help them with a healthy natural pregnancy (if that’s what they want). It includes recommendations on doulas & childbirth education classes, as well as information on epidurals, creating a birth plan, breastfeeding, vaccinations & more.
Most women go into pregnancy and listen to everything their doctor says, not always researching all the options. I often tell them that this list is the stuff their doctor won’t tell them about, and it’s up to them to research all these different options that they have, knowing the risks & benefits of every procedure.
- There are many poor prenatal vitamins out there, and a few great ones. Folate is the key ingredient in them (not folic acid).
- You can try for a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) here in Atlanta, a few doctors truly do them while many others say they’ll try, but rarely follow through. It is possible and empowering when a woman has a VBAC. We can guide & support you.
- We strongly recommend a doula at every birth, especially your first.
- We recommend you research hospitals in the Atlanta area. Do they all offer water birth or only some? What is their c-section rate at? (recommendation is less than 15%)
- We recommend women take an independent childbirth education class
- We suggest women research the risks of epidurals & ultrasounds
- Breastfeeding has so many benefits. If it doesn’t work or is harder than you thought, seek out a lactation consultant before you quit
- The vaccination debate is such a heated topic. You do have a choice.
- Circumcision – you also have a choice here.
- Chiropractic care for infants – it’s so beneficial. Ask us about it.
- Postpartum Depression – don’t assume depression is normal. Talk about it. Don’t ignore it.
If you are interested in learning more, ask us about it the next time you are in. We want to guide women on a healthy pregnancy journey, and information is key.